Do I need some Bloglovin’?

I don’t know. Do I? Do I need to link up with Bloglovin’, too? Or is it just one more site to monitor? Lovers and haters, I need to hear from you.

Otherwise, it’s been a lazy old week. It’s half-term in the UK, which means the children are off from school, so I’ve been spending time with my all-time-favourite lady. We’ve gone out to lunch, we’ve watched movies, we’ve hung out at Camden Market, and we’ve bought all her teachers gifts in anticipation of the end-of-school-year next month. Go us!! (She’s having a bit of a sulk now because clearly, we’ve had TOO much fun, and we need some balance). We’re going to see Tomorrowland with her Breton Bestie tomorrow – I can’t wait! Oh, and I finished reading The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne.

It was delicious. Heart-breaking and beautiful and so well-observed. I fell in love with Bruno, I could almost picture myself in his head. John Boyne has done an amazing job of exploring the relationships, the beliefs and the conflicts through the eyes of a young child.

Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows.

~John Betjeman

Some reviewers complained that the child was too naive, but remember, this young boy played on the streets with his friends, he wasn’t watching TV and being bombarded by media the way our children are today. His constant mispronunciation of certain places and names added to the charm. There was no overt violence, but enough language and expression to ensure understanding. I watched the movie, but the book is better. I was sobbing at the end. For the loss of innocence. For the sins of the father being visited upon the son. For the absolute senseless waste.

If you haven’t already read it, go buy it now. If you have read it, what do you think? Good, bad or indifferent? Any other John Boyne books I should read?

27 thoughts on “Do I need some Bloglovin’?

1. Josh Wrenn says:

Haven’t read the book, or any by that author. As far as Bloglovin’…I haven’t really had any success there. I don’t quite understand it, so it might just be me. Since I’m not Mr. Promo, I don’t know if it would be better if I put more effort into it, but for me…it isn’t something I really have noticed helps.

Liked by 2 people

2. lovetotrav says:

i completely had an emotional meltdown at the end… just stopped and sobbed. I thought it was a perfect read… it displayed polar opposites, similarities, warmth, trust, pain, bewilderment… and it caused me to question how this could ever happen….

Liked by 2 people

3. blondieaka says:

To Much promo for me on Bloglovin and have found far more interesting blogs that don’t scream “click here” for more info or to buy…I just lose the will to live with all that promo and find by clicking on likes and looking at who has liked other blogs I have come across some amazing ones.Works for me 🙂

Promos drive me nuts, too. And the Follow Me pop ups that appear 3 seconds after you land on a page! I just got here, give me a minute! I have been using the same method, plus Twitter, to find and build my ‘tribe’, and it’s worked well (for me). I really enjoy following the people I do!

• blondieaka says:

Ditto, Petal it’s much more fun isn’t it than having blogs picked for you 🙂 P.S and I love your blog name 🙂

4. snowsomewhere says:

I tried to go on Bloglovin but didn’t have the patience to figure it out. I just added my blog and the next time I came back, I couldn’t find my blog anymore (just my account, but not my posting feed). So I signed off but apparently you can never delete your blog from there. And then I noticed that hey, my blog feed is still there and now I was suddenly able to find it! Anyway, I’m probably doing a bad job of writing a coherent comment, but it’s just because I really didn’t get Bloglovin at all. Maybe I’ll go back one day but for now, I have better things to do with my time… Like read blog posts on WordPress 🙂 I haven’t really been promoting my blog anywhere anyway, so the WordPress community is all I have! 😉 …Anyway, that book sounds interesting, will have to add it to my looong reading list!

5. kritsayvonne says:

Hi, I’ve been confused re blog loving so good Q&A.

As for the book, I think it should be on English Lit syllabus so that young people get the message. A must read as far as I’m concerned? X

Agreed! I want someone to invent something which streams multiple things on one screen. I like discovering people on Twitter and then checking their blogs, but a fair few seem to be on Bloglovin’ so there must be something to it.