Caffeine-free coffee share

If we were having coffee, you’d be asking why I wasn’t drinking any, and why I haven’t posted much recently. I would tell you I’ve been felled by a series of cluster headaches over the last ten days which have come out of nowhere after me being in remission for AGES.

You would ask what a cluster headache is. For those of you who understand migraines, it’s a migraine of Hulk proportions. Mine show up on the left side of my head, with a continual stabbing pain behind my left eyeball. My pupil dilates and contracts to cope. I’m swamped in waves of nausea and hot flushes. Sexy! And if you’re lucky, you can have 8 or 10 of these a day!

I would tell you about the other day when, in desperate need of relief, I took a muscle relaxant. Bad move. It felt wonderful to have the edge of pain dulled, but the raw agony in my stomach was payback. I’ve been through another battery of tests yesterday and hopefully, I will have a more sensible idea of causes soon! Coeliac disease is on the table. As they say in Danish, den tid, den sorg. Directly translated, it means that time, that sorrow. Or, prance over that bridge later.

On a really positive note, I went for an interview yesterday – to work at a magazine! It was brilliant. They read my blog. They like the content. They liked my business experience. It felt like a great fit and I hope they think so, too! I was incredibly grateful I found some hidden well of strength to power through the throbbing eyeball-nausea-sweats. I wanted this opportunity SO much, I couldn’t bear the thought of trying to reschedule. Mind over effing matter.

I even managed to sit through Spooks (the movie) last night. Seriously, Jon Snow from Game of Thrones as a spy? What headache?! Drool. In fact, I might research therapy which includes looking at images of pretty stuff. Like Jon Snow. Hmmmmmmm.

(This post has been edited: my Breton Bestie wanted to know if the Jon Snow therapy is only for migraine/cluster sufferers. I said no. I think it is an excellent preventative measure as well! 🙂 )

31 thoughts on “Caffeine-free coffee share

1. Anxious Mom says:

I’m sorry to hear you haven’t been well and hope that improves soon, but congratulations on the job opportunity, how wonderful! 🙌

2. hollie says:

Fingers crossed they offer you the opportunity, it sounds amazing! Hope you are feeling better today. It is tough to muster the strength to do anything when one’s eyeball feels like it is being stabbed, I imagine!

3. jmurphynd says:

So sorry to hear:( migraines are BRUTAL. I had my first and only this year and thought I was dying of a burst aneurysm!!!! Drama!!!

Can’t wait to hear more about the mag. So exciting!!!

Sent from my iPhone

4. Amy says:

I hear those are the worst kind of migraines. Hope they can find out how to help. I had a lot when I was going through menopause but you are too young for that :). Congrats on your interview – I think your blog is fantastic.

5. Corina says:

So sorry you’ve had to suffer through the cluster headache mess. I used to have horrible migraines…the kind that last for three or four days, go away for a day or two then come back again for another three or four days, over and over again. The kind of headache where I could not even see because everything got so dark on me and I would have to “feel my way” to get from one room to another. Not good when you’re a single mom and have to get three kids from one place to another. Luckily, I had amazing neighbors and friends at the time. I hope they figure something out for yours and for you other problems.

6. holley4734 says:

I’ve also been catching up on Game of Thrones. No cable. Sooo we wait until it’s on DVD. I also love Jon Snow. I do miss Khal Drogo though. A lot. He’s on a new show that I’m also waiting for. I’m seriously reconsidering the no cable thing. 🙂

7. Random Musings and Wanderlust says:

I understand the cluster headaches, I get them thanks to gluten intolerance. I was never tested for Celiac Disease (Coeliac) but my symptoms at the time with the cluster headaches, massive hives, stomach issues etc etc all lead to me going on an elimination diet. As soon as I eat gluten it all comes rushing back like a tidal wave of problems. I wont get tested at this point, it’s been over 2 years I’ve been gf, and I refuse to eat the gluten so the test can be run. I hope you’re not positive for Celiac, but in the same respect I hope you can get an answer to the reason for the issues you’re having. Good luck. and good luck on the job as well. Positive thoughts sent your way and thank you for the coffee 🙂 Paula

8. Vagrant Rhodia says:

Oh no.. I’m sorry to hear that. I don’t have cluster headaches but I do have monthly migraines that render me unable to do anything for a good day or two. I also wanted to say I hope you get that job 🙂 Let me know how it all goes.

Take care

9. Diana says:

Sorry to hear about those cluster headaches. When I get headaches, which luckily isn’t often, I get cluster headaches, and they’re pretty awful.

And great news about the interview! Sending you good vibes! 🙂

• Diana says:

I don’t have any regular medication, because I get them so rarely that it hasn’t seemed to need medicating. Not eating for hours or not drinking enough water are big triggers for me—-so are some smells, especially incense.

Smell is a trigger for me, too! I am also terrifyingly hypoglycaemic but I have learnt to stay on top of this. The last 18 months have been quite trying for me, so I hope I get some definitive answers soon!

• Sabina says:

I’m not actively looking (yet) since I’m still in school, and I’ve been writing for my campus magazine which includes news stories, social justice type discussions, and creative writing. Next year I’ll be working in marketing communications, so writing for the prospective student & alumni magazines at the college, which is also a way I’d be interested in going.

10. somemaid says:

sorry to hear about the headaches, I hope they stop soon. I’m tempted by the Spooks film but will have to wait before I watch it. I don’t get time to go to the cinema anymore. 😦 Thank you for the coffee and I hope you get the job. 🙂

11. blondieaka says:

Poor you with the migraines I am not a sufferer but have friends who are but very well done on the job interview hope you get the job..fingers crossed…my dream is to get a column on a mag so researching mags I would like to write for and hopefully they will like my scribblings 🙂